Friday 21 January 2011

Location Drawing - British Museum

Yesterday I went location drawing in the British Museum, London.
During this session, we were discouraged from creating a lot of quick drawings, and told to only do between 3 and 4 sustained drawing. This was to help train our eye for detail, and to force us to develop techniques to deal with boredom or fatigue whilst drawing.

This first image is of a canoe figurehead from the solomon islands. It was drawn on brown paper, and the white was done with a tipex pen. I spent about an hour and half on this guy, making sure I got all the proportions as right as I could. In the end I realised that I'd spent far too long on him, and left him unfinished.

These two images were much quicker than the last one. After spending over an hour focused on such a tight drawing, I needed to do a much quicker and energetic one to loosen myself up. The images are of the mummified cats in the egyptian exhibit. The first image was done using continuous line and without looking at the paper. The second was done using continuous line.

Fianlly, I found a gorgeous lion figure that instantly caught my eye. I spent the remaining hour drawing this guy and I really wish I'd had longer before having to leave for the group crit, because I would love to have finished this little guy off. I used pens of varying thickness and pencil for the working out. He is without a doubt my favourite picture of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment